Saturday, March 12, 2011

Miki



When I read and saw some video footage (here) about the earthquake and the following tsunami off the coast of Japan yesterday, I immediately thought of one person I knew that lives in Japan - my previous neighbour's girlfriend, Miki

My previous neighbour John, had touched base with me yesterday. When I asked about Miki he told me she was safe. Even though I had not been in contact with her for some time, I sent her a quick email.
I was surprised yet relieved to get an email response from Miki this morning:





I'm very glad for Miki that her family, home and coworkers are safe.
But I can only imagine the fear she had while experiencing the very strong earthquake at work with the windows breaking and walls falling and all the panic while not being able to stand or run/walk...and that there are still some aftershocks

It is unbelievably tragic when I saw video footage online - any natural disaster is, but it hits home in a different way when you know someone living nearby it and has been affected.

And for the couple of rude sales associates at the my local Metro grocery store and shopping mall I ran into the last couple of days, I thought, wow, slow down for a minute. Take life a bit easier. I think sometimes people forget about how fortunate they are in life....and the more time I spend outside of the big city of Toronto, the more I feel like I don't belong here. It's a wonderful place in terms of diversity and things to do, but with so many people in a constant rush, high stress levels and poor attitudes, it makes me think twice.
So take a moment and think about how fortunate you are and all the things you are thankful for.


My thoughts & prayers really go out to the people in Japan


Miki and I on our train to Ottawa to see the tulips, May 19 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment